Friday 13 September 2013

BOOK CLUB TAKEOVER: Pandora from 'Petit Dora'

Here are my thoughts… I LOVE hearing other people’s views and reviews on pretty much anything especially books! Some of my favourite reads are ones that have been suggested by other people. So thinking along those lines,’ The Book Club Takeover’ was born! Hopefully each week I will bring to you a post from one of my lovely and amazing fellow bloggers who will in turn share with you what their favourite book is, why they love it and a review. I hope you enjoy this feature as much as I do!

 
Hello! I’m Pandora, I blog over at Petit Dora and I’m really excited to be part of Gemma’s book club as I am an avid reader! My blog still hasn’t found it’s way yet but it’s a bit of fashion due to me being on a fashion communication course and a bit of lifestyle with personal posts.
 
Anytime I have the chance I’m reading, I do prefer a physical book but if I’m out and about I have lots of books on my phone to peruse! I had a really hard time choosing what book to write about because I have sooo many that I love but decided to settle for one I finished quite recently, The Fault In Our Starts by John Green. Enjoy!
 

The Blurb
 
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

The Review
 
I was quite slow to join the John Green bandwagon but oh gosh I’m glad I got there eventually!
 
I started my journey with Green’s “Looking For Alaska” which was one of those books that when you finish your mouth is hanging open and you’re screaming “WHY WHY DO THAT TO ME?!” So of course I ran out to get The Fault in Our Stars, which did not disappoint.
 
I really want to write this without giving too much away for those who may not have read it so here’s the low down, Hazel has cancer, she meets Augustus Waters at the Cancer Support Group and okay yeah it’s a love story.
 
It’s no twilight though, Hazel isn’t a damsel in distress or a pathetic fawning lovestruck teen, she’s so...real. (Okay so there’s a little bit of lovestruck teen but come on, it’s a teen book, and she’s still a teen girl after all.) Green has the amazing ability of writing characters that you might not relate to in terms of their situation, or who may even have wonderful monologues that nobody could come up with on the spot but yet you still feel so connected to them. 
 
I may not want to include spoilers but let’s face it if you’re going to read this thinking you won’t finish it heartbroken and crying then you’re being a little silly. I love a book that makes me cry and this one had streams of endless tears running down my face!

I’d say that if you’re going to read this then go into it with an open mind because sometimes it can come across a little precocious and some of the dialogue made me roll my eyes at first but you really do get sucked into Hazel and Augustus‘ story and not even just them but the other characters, the parents, their friends, John Green has written ALL of the characters really well.
 
If you’re in the mood for romantic monologues, lots of quotable lines and some tears then I definitely recommend reading it (before the movie comes out)!

I hope you’re enjoyed my sort-of review (more of a recommendation) and thanks for reading!
 
Pandora xoxo
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I wand to bad to read this book but it's so hard to find it here in Switzerland, where I live. Do you now when the movie is coming out? Hope you're reading the comment even though this isn't your blog :) Have a nice day! xx
    Catherine | Vanilla.Fashion. Thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's such a shame, could you download it as an ebook?
      I don't know the release date no, I've not looked too much into it to be honest because I want to go into it a little bit blindly and see whether it lives up to the book haha!
      Thanks so much for your comment, hope you're having a lovely day. Petit Dora xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love this book so much! I was thinking I might review my thoughts on it over on my blog only the other day!! I love the quotes that come out of it, I love the way he writes, you're totally right about feeling connected to the characters! Lovely post, sophie-ellie.blogspot.com, I came over from twitter!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no way ,well if you do I'd love to read your thoughts on it! Oh yes there are some beautiful ones, it does make you yearn for one of these quotable relationships ha.
      Thanks so much for your comment sweet pea, I'll check out your blog! :) Petit Dora xoxo

      Delete
  3. Absolutely love this book!

    www.thelondonbookblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...