Wednesday 13 February 2013

Day 1 of Lent....


Before anyone asks I'm not religious in the slightest, I like and appreciate certain elements of people’s different beliefs but I don’t follow a certain religion and if my views had to be labelled I would probably be found under the heading of Atheist. However that being said I have decided to embark on the tradition on Lent. I am useless at giving things up, I am already expecting to fail miserable but I do like a challenge and what’s 40 days, it will fly by! (I really, really hope it will anyway). I've never even attempted to give up something for Lent before so I am intrigued to see how I handle it and if I crack, what will be the cause!

Here is what I am giving up….

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1)      <!--[endif]-->Crisps – They are my comfort food! I am so naughty when it comes to crisps! I am not a sweet tooth so chocolate and sweets don’t bother me, I can take them or leave them. Put a bowl of crisps in front of me and I can wolf them down in seconds, I just can’t stop. So I hereby declare that for the next 40 days not a single crisp will pass my lips. I have decided on these as I just want to prove to myself I can do and crack a habit!

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2)      <!--[endif]-->Bread – If I was only allowed one thing to eat for the rest of my life I wouldn't have to think twice, my answer would be Bread or more specifically Toast with a nice cup of Tea.  Yummy! I know it’s not good for me, and I'm pretty sure I have some intolerance to wheat as feel bloated whenever I have bread. My issue is I like it too much to care most of the time! So I feel by giving it up by body will thank me, hopefully I will feel much better and I even view it as cracking an addiction.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->3)      <!--[endif]-->Facebook – I think this will be the hardest thing to give up. Like most people I use Facebook  A LOT. I use it to keep in touch with people who live away and to arrange my social life etc. but more and more recently I find myself on it when I'm bored. I don’t even remember clicking the button on my phone to access it, it’s just there and I'm passing away time browsing at people I don’t even know or care about. I also hate the social implications around Facebook, you are scrutinising other people’s lives and comparing them to yourself (Not everyone admits that but it is soo true). It’s definitely not good for my fragile self-esteem! So I feel if I can give up Facebook I can concentrate on myself, I won’t lose hours of my life looking at other peoples and I might start improving my own!

These things may all seem trivial to most people, but I am really hoping each will make a difference to me and more importantly I can actually last the 40 days. So here goes, I'm half way through day 1 and it’s kind of going OK so far….

I promise to keep everyone up dated with how I get on. I would also love to hear if anyone else if partaking in lent and what the are giving up? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...