Let me explain, a women on the radio called them 'disgusting' another said it was 'de-facing yourself'. Some kind gentleman then joined in saying 'women who have tattoos are ugly and trashy'. My back was officially up! I have 5 tattoos myself and would not class myself in any of the above categories.
These are my lot:
- My first design was the butterfly, it is placed just above my hip. I had it done on a lovely hot summers day around 7 years ago. I had just been dumped and my ex hated tattoos so in a moment of madness, throw in a best friend hyping me up and the decision was made!
- My second, a few months later was the stars around my feet. I love the stars and am often complimented for this inking. Originally it was only around my ankle but around 2 years later I have it extended all the way down my foot. I do declare this is my favourite!
- The dragonfly on my wrist was a result of my doodles. I was apprehensive about getting it done on my wrist as all my other designs are easily hidden. It is on the outside of my wrist so I often forget its there. It often gets mistaken for a treble clef, squiggle etc but I kind of like that! All art is interpreted differently by the viewer and why shouldn't tattoos?
- Next up is the word 'believe' interlaced with a paper aeroplane. It is just on the side of my ribs and I had it done to remind myself to believe in myself and believe in my dreams. I strongly feel that if I believe in those 2 things I can achieve anything. I am currently looking at expanding this somehow and am looking for a good quote with the word 'believe' in. Nothings really grasped my attention yet but I will keep looking! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know?
- Last but not least, my final piece of ink was done last year, its just above the inside of my ankle and symbolises 'Hakuna Matata'. My sister got exactly the same design in the same place. We had both been looking to get something for a while and this just suited us perfectly.
So the hater of tattoos in me.... where shall i begin? I hate, I hate teddy bear tattoos! WHY WHY WHY?!!!! I am not a fan of people getting boyfriend/girlfriend names, kids I can understand, but people who can disappear from your life or break your heart, why would you want a constant reminder?! Love Hate tattoos = so Tacky! Also I don't believe many women can get away with sleeves, don't get me wrong I have seen a few who really pull off the look and its a really cool look. However I have not seen many. Also tattoos on the face and across the jugular...Horrendous!!My personal motto is will you see if when I'm in my wedding dress?! Yes to those who know me I am ridiculously single at the moment but if or when that day comes I don't want my tattoos to be a focal point, I also love that mine can be covered up and It often surprises people that I have tattoos as apparently I don't seem 'the type'.
On a flip note, men with Tattoos.... well in my opinion its a definite plus! I am a huge Home and Away fan, yes when I visited Oz I did make a trip to summer bay. Well my love of the show just escalated when the Braxtons moved into town, their hot bodies helped but throw in a few tattoos and id be happy to help them dry off after a surf any day! Oh and how can we forget David Beckham, Yummy!
Am I a Hypocrite?! Yes probably, like most people I can be quick to judge others but looking at my own (OK yes small) artwork I am reminded that each to their own. One mans trash is another mans gold. Most importantly what you do to your body is a personal choice.