Friday 11 October 2013

BOOK CLUB TAKEOVER: Lynn Jo from ‘Lynn Jo Chaney’

Here are my thoughts… I LOVE hearing other people’s views and reviews on pretty much anything especially books! Some of my favourite reads are ones that have been suggested by other people. So thinking along those lines,’ The Book Club Takeover’ was born! Hopefully each week I will bring to you a post from one of my lovely and amazing fellow bloggers who will in turn share with you what their favourite book is, why they love it and a review. I hope you enjoy this feature as much as I do!

Hi Lovelies! I’m Lynn Jo and you can normally find me over at lynnjochaney.blogspot.ie!! I don’t really blog about anything specific but I have a nice healthy mix of life, beauty and fashion… the basic contents of my head :P I am a college graduate and was made redundant from my job so I have a lot of time on my hands while I job hunt so this blog is keeping me sane in this gap with nothing happening. I am also moving to London in February so this blog is going to be huge to me then. I’ve wanted to start posting about my favourite books on my blog because I love to read so this is a good way to test the waters. Please let me know what you think.

ALSO, I recommend this book to everyone so get a nice copy, even second-hand and share it around as everyone NEEDS to read it!


 
The Blurb

Callum is a nought – a second-class citizen in a world run by the ruling Crosses…

Sephy is a Cross, daughter of one of the most powerful men in the country…

In their world, noughts and Crosses simply don’t mix. And as hostility turns to violence, can Callum and Sephy possibly find a way to be together?
They are determined to try.


And then the bomb explodes…
 
The Review

Now I had hoped to read this book again before writing this post as it has been about a year since I read it last, but then I said no, I’ll write it based on how much I still love it and recommend it even though it has been a while since I read it. It’s impact doesn’t lessen the more time passes since you have read it.

When I was in Transition Year in secondary school our teachers seemed to be mad into getting us to read really different pieces of literature… between English and Irish the books were definitely different to our normal material.

Noughts and Crosses focuses on the whole idea of segregation and minorities in a society run by a power. It is part of a trilogy and I would recommend reading the whole set as the books are gripping and have n almighty impact on you.
I like the book as it puts a spin on who the minority is, they don’t use typical true to life representations and put into power those that are a minority in our world. The story has the usual star crossed lovers vibe to it but there is so much more to be found in the book. You find yourself fighting for the characters and willing them to get through everything and triumph at the end… I won’t say whether they will or not but be warned it could go either way due to the nature of this book.
 
This book appeals to the masses, it covers everything, romance, action, crime, there is something for everyone in this book. I recommend it to everyone, people with completely different literary tastes to me, and everyone has loved it. In school we used copies of the bought by our teachers and I was so into it that I went home and bought a copy of the book to bring home and read ahead myself as I just could not put the book down, I was always reading ahead in class.
 
I know I haven’t said much on the plot but to be honest I don’t need to. Like I love the plot, it’s a brilliant idea for a book, especially the way the tables of power are turned within the world of the book. But I really think this books message and the way it makes you think is the reason it should be read. My class had the most powerful discussions we have ever had after finishing this book. It changed us all, even those in the class who weren’t the literary sort. Like I would not be the one to get involved in discussion of power or power roles, but I was dying to have my say in relation to this book.
 
I think that is all I am going to say on the book, if I haven’t convinced you to read it then let the blurb. How you could not be curious after reading that I don’t know.

3 comments:

  1. Will be keeping an eye on your book club posts - love new book ideas! :)
    Lianne | TheBrunetteSays...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! This has got to be one of my favourite book series! I sound like such a bookworm! Oh well!

    Great post! x

    nailartiste.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this collection of books! Felt as though i knew the characters. Great review x

    http://deathbycoco.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...