Friday 30 August 2013

BOOK CLUB TAKEOVER: Georgia from 'What Georgia Did Next'

Here are my thoughts… I LOVE hearing other people’s views and reviews on pretty much anything especially books! Some of my favourite reads are ones that have been suggested by other people. So thinking along those lines,’ The Book Club Takeover’ was born! Hopefully each week I will bring to you a post from one of my lovely and amazing fellow bloggers who will in turn share with you what their favourite book is, why they love it and a review. I hope you enjoy this feature as much as I do!


I'm Georgia from whatgeorgiadidnext.blogspot.co.uk, a fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog. As a huge bookworm, when I saw Gemma was planning on doing a book review post I just knew I had to get myself and my favourite book involved!
'The Help' Book Review:


The Help has been my favourite book from the first time I picked it up. It's the story of three very different women living in Mississippi in the 1960's; wise, loving Aibileen, feisty cook Minnie and the nervous wannabe journalist, Skeeter who all find friendship, love and themselves along the way. I love The Help because it's so beautifully written- it really comes from the heart. Kathryn Stockett's (the author) imagery is flawless: her descriptions of Minnie's meals will leave you salivating and when Skeeter describes her 'wedding cake' bedroom, you almost feel like you're sat there next to her, tapping away at the typewriter. The book is about Skeeter writing a book with Aibileen and Minnie helping her. Along the way, you learn about the three women and their lives and how they develop a friendship that defies stereotypes  class boundaries and even laws. The book is inspirational and so courageous and you find yourself falling in love with the characters and their beautifully developed personalities. Skeeter is the privileged  awkward journalist wondering what's happened to her maid, and best friend who befriends Aibileen, a wise, loving maid who lost her son and only survived the loss with the help of her best friend, the utterly perfect feisty, Minnie who's 'cooking is almost as sassy as her mouth'. I can read this book constantly because, for me, it's flawless: completely absorbing you in a forgotten world of racism, sexism and cotton fields. Each woman has their struggles, has their strengths and has their success. The supporting characters are just as well developed- Miss Hilly is just as you'd imagine the popular girl at school all grown up to be, Elizabeth is a confused, lost soul you just want to shake and Miss Celia is completely unique (and probably my favourite character!).
The book has also been turned into a film, with Emma Stone, which is just as wonderfully done: sticking to the original story and most of the original wording meaning its charm remains.
I couldn't recommend this book more and what better choice could their be than to choose a book that makes me laugh, cry and 'holla' (as Minnie would say) simultaneously?
 

2 comments:

  1. I love this book and the film! Great review.

    Rebecca x
    cloudnineindulgence.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely feature, i really enjoyed the film and i heard the book is a great read, great review x

    http://kimiandme.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...