I used to love felting years ago and recently was reminded of it again. You can do so much with felt and its so versatile. I have in the past made a lampshade and a hat from felt. However for this project I thought id go a bit old skool and do some needle felting, it’s so therapeutic and you can be as creative as you like!
Foam sheet (to rest on)
Plasters (This might be just me!)
***I purchased most of this stuff off eBay really cheaply! ***
What to do…
1. Lay your felt sheet on top of your foam sponge.
2. Once you’ve decided on a design, place the raw felt on top of the sheet. I have chosen to do a couple of different heart designs, to create a set for a birthday present for a friend.
3. You need the raw felt to fuse with the sheet of felt, so this is the fun bit! You need to use the needle to stab the felt onto the sheet. Keep repeating. You want to feel your needle going through your wool and into the sponge or foam, but not so far that you risk going through it into the hard surface below (or your leg, if you're doing it on your lap. Ouch!!). The needles are quite fragile so beware that they can snap!
4. You can keep adding the raw felt to build up your design, make it a bit more 3D, add more colours, etc.
5. Once you’ve finished your design, you can then frame it. I cut down my felt sheet in order to fit in the frames I had.
You can be as creative as you like with this project! I am really pleased with the end result and think mine will make a really cute present. Let me know if you give this a try!