Sunday 25 August 2013

DIY: Needle Felting Framed Pictures

 
I used to love felting years ago and recently was reminded of it again. You can do so much with felt and its so versatile. I have in the past made a lampshade and a hat from felt. However for this project I thought id go a bit old skool and do some needle felting, it’s so therapeutic and you can be as creative as you like!
 
Items Needed…

Felt sheet
Raw felt
Foam sheet (to rest on)
Felt needle
Frame
Scissors
Plasters (This might be just me!)

***I purchased most of this stuff off eBay really cheaply! ***

What to do…

1.       Lay your felt sheet on top of your foam sponge.
 
 
      2.       Once you’ve decided on a design, place the raw felt on top of the sheet. I have chosen to do a couple of different heart designs, to create a set for a birthday present for a friend.

3.       You need the raw felt to fuse with the sheet of felt, so this is the fun bit! You need to use the needle to stab the felt onto the sheet. Keep repeating. You want to feel your needle going through your wool and into the sponge or foam, but not so far that you risk going through it into the hard surface below (or your leg, if you're doing it on your lap. Ouch!!). The needles are quite fragile so beware that they can snap!
 

 
4.       You can keep adding the raw felt to build up your design, make it a bit more 3D, add more colours, etc.
 
5.       Once you’ve finished your design, you can then frame it. I cut down my felt sheet in order to fit in the frames I had.
You can be as creative as you like with this project! I am really pleased with the end result and think mine will make a really cute present. Let me know if you give this a try!


8 comments:

  1. Aww this is adorable. I can ask my sis to make one for my bedroom. Thanks for sharing. :)


    Sarah
    Pretty Gloss ♥ beauty, makeup & a bit of life..
    bloglovin | twitter | pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh this is adorable! Looks so easy to make too!


    Hannah xx


    www.raspberrykitsch.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I'd say I was crafty but I can't say I've ever heard of this before it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look beautiful, didn't know you could make something so cool with felt :)

    Tanja
    http://tanjamortensen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... this is so clever! Definitely looks therapeutic :D x

    janesjumbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I really want to try felting but I'm worried about how much blood I'd lose haha

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks amazing! awww love D.I.Y stuff, I really do..... thanks for sharing.... i'm over at http://bellefbeauty.com

    let me know wen u stop by hun :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to try needle felting. It's such a unique look and the stabbity-stabbity seems quite therapeutic :) Your hearts are beautiful, and so neat, too!

    Angela xx
    Little Apple Tree

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...