Friday 15 November 2013

BOOK CLUB TAKEOVER: Chloe from 'Lost Arrows'

Here are my thoughts… I LOVE hearing other people’s views and reviews on pretty much anything especially books! Some of my favourite reads are ones that have been suggested by other people. So thinking along those lines,’ The Book Club Takeover’ was born! Hopefully each week I will bring to you a post from one of my lovely and amazing fellow bloggers who will in turn share with you what their favourite book is, why they love it and a review. I hope you enjoy this feature as much as I do!

 
Hello everyone! Welcome to my takeover! I've loved reading Gemma's recent book club takeovers and I was so excited when I got to be a part of it! I haven't blogged for very long, but I'm over at lost-arrows.blogspot.co.uk if you fancy checking out my little blog!


Now I have read many  books and the one I decided to review is probably one you've either read yourselves in English class or at least of heard about it.

To Kill A Mockingbird is written by Harper Lee, set in a southern state of America during the great depression and times of great prejudice. The story is told through the eyes of Scout Finch both as a child and a woman reflecting on her past. The novel revolves around different themes of innocence, both with Scout and her brother growing up to her secretive neighbor; Boo Radley and the trail of Tom Robinson that her father (a lawyer) is working on.

I'll try not to give too much away, but the book really does make you think and question yourself and about how much we actually know people and how much we judge them. Its amazingly written, I often find that some books generally have a great story but the writing style let's them down, but this isn't the case here! Even if you have read it before and had to fill in countless practice exam questions about it, its really worth reading again. I felt as though I understood and learned much more from reading it a second time and a third and a fourth...

If you're feeling lazy then watch the film, it isn't half as magical as the pages but oh well, its in black and white and its perfect for cuddling up on a rainy afternoon. Although the book isn't in any way a happy story, it is heart warming in some places, despite the issues raised like racism, loneliness, prejudice, courage and innocence. Its a deep book!

I admit I didn't read this book by choice at first, it was chosen by my year 11 English teacher for out last exam, but I am so glad she chose it. Sometimes I think teacher will just pick the easiest thing so everyone can get easy marks, but our teacher not only made us read a brilliant book, she made us actually learn something from the book, really get in between the lines and live among the characters, something very rare to achieve in a novel  these days. Its still my go to book whenever I am lost for something to read or having a down day, its quite inspirational.

 And with this little review coming to an end I'll leave you with a couple of my favorite quotes from the story!

 "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

"Before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.”

I hope you enjoyed my ramblings, I must say a big thank you to Gemma for letting me be a part of her lovely blog!

Chloe x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...