Sunday 2 February 2014

Thailand || Bangkok

If you are a regular visitor to ‘Lipsticks and Lashes’ or follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you may have seen that I have just returned from three incredible weeks in Thailand with my friend Kate! I feel very blessed that over the years I have done quite a lot of travelling. I really do believe that getting out there and seeing what the world has to offer is truly one of the best things you can do!
 
I was originally going to do one big post, however on started to put said post together it would have been HUGE! So I’ve decided to break it down into places we visited, and do a few posts over the next couple of weeks. I hope you enjoy them!

 
 
 
So first up is Bangkok! After an 8 hour flight to India, an 8 hour stop in the airport (which isn’t the pleasantest place in the world) followed by a short 4 hour flight, we finally arrived in Thailand! After a bit of deliberation we decided to pre-book our accommodation in Bangkok and stay for 3 nights. I am so glad we did after that long journey, as I’m not sure I would have had the brain power to sort that out on landing! It also meant we would be spending NYE in Bangkok – I will be doing a whole separate post on this experience alone so won’t say much about that now!
We stayed on Koh San Road in the Dang Dern Hotel. This road is party central, mainly filled with travellers but there are quite a few locals too. Therefore if your want sleep or are travelling with a young family, I wouldn’t recommend staying here unless you have an amazing pair of ear plugs. For our needs though it worked well, as it was where we wanted to be for New Years Eve and central to all the places we wanted to visit and explore.




 
We arrived late on the 30th December so didn’t do much that evening. The next day we got up early and headed via Tuk Tuk – SO much Fun! – to the ‘Travel Authority of Thailand’ who were ridiculously helpful and sorted out our accommodation, domestic flights and transfers for the next three weeks. I can’t fault this service, our advisor really got it right for us, especially as we wanted to see as much as we could in a short space of time. It definitely took the pressure off us and gave us more time to enjoy the experience. We paid just over £400 for it all and I think this was pretty reasonable when you look at everything we got for it. However, if you are going to Thailand for a longer period of time I would recommend doing it yourself as you go along as everything is so inexpensive you could definitely do it for a lot cheaper than we did!
After getting organised, we then wandered back towards Koh San Road hitting the Temple of the Tall Buddha on our way. This is where we saw a cat in a dress, I repeat A CAT IN A ADRESS!! Still speechless in regards to this! Whilst in Bangkok we also visited the Grand Palace which was just so beautiful, the detail of these temples is just so incredible.
We then followed this with a visit to the Horizontal Buddha, this was the only temple we had to pay to visit (all the others were just accepting donations). This one was pretty much what it said on the tin, a huge laying down Buddha, also known to us as the lazy one.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Shopping in Bangkok was pretty interesting. Koh San Road is filled with market stalls and everything is crazy cheap. We found that clothes, gifts etc were cheaper here than anywhere else we visited which is worth keeping in mind if you’re planning a trip! Mixed in between the clothes stands were tons of street food vendors. The food here was just incredible, so yummy and fresh!!
 


 
Bangkok really exceeded my expectations! Before arriving I thought it would be my least favourite place, as I’m not a huge city fan, however it was just awesome! Busy not unmanageable, fun and vibrant. I felt so safe here too, not like other big cities I’ve previously visited. I really hope I can visit there again soon!
Keep your eye out for more Thailand posts coming up soon!

16 comments:

  1. Amazing pics! The one of the cat in a dress is really funny. I think that the trip has been quite cheap. Looking forward to your next posts on your trip :)

    Jasmine xx For a Real Woman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat did make me laugh, it was the last think I was expecting to see! xx

      Delete
  2. Fab post, looks amazing and you've definitely given me needed inspiration for my own travelling posts, thank you!

    Emily x
    http://fantasma-velvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this makes me so excited for my visit in July! It looks amazing!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh do you know where abouts your going yet and how long for? xx

      Delete
  4. Bangkok is great. We were there in April last year and although it was ridiculously hot I really loved it - there was just so much going on and loads of things to see! Agree that it was very cheap too. Looking forward to the next instalment!

    Laura | Cherry Soda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really exceeded my expectations! I loved it and really hope I can go back some day! xx

      Delete
  5. Wow Bangkok looks amazing! I love cities so I will definitely have to add this to my list of cities to visit :) Can't wait to read your next posts!

    Lauren | laurenthedaydreamer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was amazing and if you ever get the opportunity you have to visit!! :) xx

      Delete
  6. *cries with jealousy*
    This looks amazing - lucky girl :)


    www.alicatlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Catherine! I feel very lucky to have had this experience! xx

      Delete
  7. This looks amazing!!! I'm so jealous! You're making me want to go to thailand more than ever!
    I'm not sure if I missed you saying in the post but how long did you stay there?

    nailartiste.blogspot.co.uk

    x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend a trip there! It was awesome! I was there for 3 weeks, really wish I had longer! xx

      Delete
  8. That sounds amazing. We are going to Bangkok two weeks today and you have no idea how excited you have made me! Fab post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you said you feel safe in Bangkok. You hear so many stories from people visiting Thailand about scams but my experience was completely different. The people are just so lovely. Going back in a week and this post has made me very excited!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...